Lesson Plans for Secondary School Educators
Unit Three: There and Back Again
1. In what sort of dwelling did the Wood-elves of Mirkwood live?
(Answer: a great underground hall)
2. How did Bilbo survive while his companions were imprisoned?
(Answer: He stole food from the elves.)
3. What was the name of the great jewel coveted by Thorin Oakenshield?
(Answer: the Arkenstone)
4. What was "the bravest thing" Bilbo ever did?
(Answer: continuing through the tunnel to Smaug's lair)
5. Why is it wise to bring Cram on a journey?
(Answer: You can eat it.)
6. Who slew Smaug, and how?
(Answer: Bard, with an arrow)
7. What common threat caused the Elves and Dwarves to join forces?
(Answer: an attack by goblins)
Unit Three Content
Comments for Teachers