The Old Willis Place
Diana and her little brother, Georgie, have been living in the woods behind the old Willis place, a decaying mansion, for what seems like forever. A strict set of rules won't allow them to leave the property or even show themselves to anyone. But when a new caretaker and his daughter, Lissa, come to live there, Diana is tempted to break the rules for the first time. But she and George learn quickly that breaking the rules can have deadly consequences. . . . An empty house . . . full of secrets.
• Golden Sower Award (Nebraska)
• Volunteer State Book Award (Tennessee)
• Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award (Vermont)
• William Allen White Children's Book Award Master List (Kansas)
• Mark Twain Award Master List (Missouri)
• Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award Master List (Illinois)
• South Carolina Children's Book Award
Reviews✭ "Taut, spooky, and fast-paced. . . . More than just a ghost story, this novel is a mystery and a story of friendship and redemption."
—School Library Journal, starred review
"Hahn is a master at stretching the suspense. . . . just the right mix of chilling and thrilling."
"Spooky, but with an underlying sweetness."
"Creepy and enjoyable."
—Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
"A compelling ghost story, with a surprising twist."
—St. Paul Pioneer Press