Wait Till Helen Comes
Twelve-year-old Molly and her ten-year-old brother, Michael, have never liked their younger stepsister, Heather. Ever since their parents got married, she's made Molly and Michael's life miserable. Now their parents have moved them all to the country to live in a house that used to be a church, with a cemetery in the backyard. If that's not bad enough, Heather starts talking to a ghost named Helen and warning Molly and Michael that Helen is coming for them. Molly feels certain Heather is in some kind of danger, but every time she tries to help, Heather twists things around to get her into trouble. It seems as if things can't get any worse. But they do—when Helen comes.
• Golden Sower Award (Nebraska)
• Iowa Children's Choice Award
• Maud Hart Lovelace Award (Minnesota)
• Rebecca Caudhill Young Readers' Book Award (Illinois)
• Texas Bluebonnet Award
• Pacific Northwest Young Reader's Choice Award (Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington)
• Young Hoosier Award (Indiana)
• Virginia Readers' Choice Award
• Volunteer State Book Award
• Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award (Vermont)
• Utah Children's Book Award
✭ "Hahn builds her plot in the best horror story tradition . . . . a first-rate thriller. A ghost story par excellence in which a difficult seven-year-old is drawn into a frightening relationship with the ghost of a dead child."
—ALA Booklist, STARRED review
"Genuinely scary, complete with dark secrets from the past, unsettled graves, and a very real ghost."
—Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
"An unusually scary, well-crafted ghost fantasy."
"A gripping and scary ghost story."