Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Flying Sober for 4 Years/I Was That Beautiful Girl
Replies: 2   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jul 19, 2010 8:59 PM by: Carrie

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 2
flyingsober

Flying Sober for 4 Years/I Was That Beautiful Girl
Posted: Jul 18, 2010 10:07 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I am a mom, a wife and a Flight Attendant with a major carrier for 23 years. I am also a Recovering alcoholic who almost drank myself to death. I went to 6 treatment centers, spent time in a homeless shelter, and many trips to the ER and Psychiatric Wards. I was on a leave from the airline almost 3 years. I was a chronic relapser. Today I am sober 4 years and I love my life. It was not easy to get sober. I was involved in a 12 step recovery program for several years before I became willing to surrender my will to God. I know some are turned off by the God word, but that is my story. My way had quit working and I was losing everything. Nic Sheff was on my Flight recently and I felt like he was a brother. There's not enough room to share the horror of my life with alcohol but I can say that there is a solution and I believe that it is in the 12 steps. During the relapse phase, I continued to go to meetings, and I continued to try. NEVER GIVE UP!!! I sponsor 3 women today and I take a meeting into women at the jail in my city. I am so grateful for the people that took my hand and helped me to get sober and encouraged me to "keep coming back"! Blessings Friends

JLP2

Re: Flying Sober for 4 Years/I Was That Beautiful Girl
Posted: Jul 18, 2010 11:58 PM

Thanks for your post. It is so nice to have someone give some hope that comes from experience. I have been at a place of little hope for my son the last few days.

Carrie

Re: Flying Sober for 4 Years/I Was That Beautiful Girl
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 8:59 PM

The further down this road I go the more I understand about God. Growing up, I had church (not God) shoved down my throat. Now, with things as horrible as they are I do turn to God because I don't really have anywhere else to turn and I feel that I have to turn the situation over to a higher power, let go and let God...words that I couldn't comprehend before, I'm there. I'm not a recovering anything ('cept maybe Catholic) and I think I understand a lot more now. I googled the Serenity Prayer the other day, I never quite got it before, but I get it now. It's not just for addicts or alcoholics, it's for all of us. I'm glad you told your story, thank you for sharing it.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.