Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: feeling lost
Replies: 4   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 15, 2010 9:19 PM by: fourm's

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 4
penny

feeling lost
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 3:40 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

This is my first post here. I have read Beautiful Boy and it might as well have been my son. He is 18 and has been addicted for four years. I couldn't believe when he told me. We have been in and out of rehab-mostly outpatient because he was not suicidal when we were seeking help. This did not help. He has been labeled Bi-Polar along with his dependency. We have seen manic mood swings, violent outbursts, periods of time that he has disappeared, crying, weight loss, gray skin color, vomiting, black outs, failed classes, lost friends, judgmental family and community-you name it. We are trying to get him into a residential treatment facility but my insurance won't cover residential, which will be in the area of $17,000 for one month. I have looked everywhere and talked to everyone to no avail. I am watching my son die. I don't know what to do and feel lost.

Fatima

Re: feeling lost
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:08 PM

Hi Penny, I'm so glad that you have decided to join this wonderful site. I've found so many caring women who share our same pain and daily battles. I too have two children suffering from addictions and one diagnosed as having dual diagnosis like your son. My son lives in California and has been getting help from the County Mental Health Department. He was diagnosed with chronic depression and given free meds. His last treatment program was residential (3 months) free. NAMI has been very helpful for us his parents. We did the Family to Family 12 week course. I suggest that you contact your local NAMI(National Alliance for the Mentally Ill)support group. These folks have a wealth of information regarding programs. My son now is 30 and appears to be doing much better, it's been a long roller coaster ride. My youngest daughter, age 19 is using meth and living on her own. As you can imagine, my heart aches for her. I encourage you to get help for YOU by attending AlAnon meetings. I now have a sponsor and have begun my own recovery. Please continue to participate in this forum. You are not alone. I'll keep you my prayers.

lilypad

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 10:21 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your son. Is he willing to go to rehab? Does he see a psychiatrist for his bi-polar? Have you looked at Teen Challenge? It is more affordable although I don't think they have any dual diagnosis programs. Look back through some older posts - I seem to recall reading about some residential programs that were more affordable.
Please take care of yourself - keep coming back - it helps.

tc

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 11:00 PM

To echo Fatima, Alanon has really helped me. This is a very difficult road and also the support of this group is amazing. My thoughts are with you and your son.

fourm's

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 9:19 PM

Penny we were there and then we admitted my son into an outdoor wilderness program cost was about 10k per month I kept him there 60 days best money we ever spent we got our son back my advice to you is look into the SUWS program you can google it they run an incredible program they are located in north carolina

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.