Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: how my husband's addiction helped heal me
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jul 12, 2011 11:27 PM by: Winnie

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 1
pandaesq

how my husband's addiction helped heal me
Posted: Jul 4, 2011 6:02 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

my husband is a recovering alcoholic and addict. i still remember the night he begged me to take him to treatment. there is a quote in Beautiful Boy that really summarized how I felt after he was in treatment and I started doing my work for me. It talks about how the addiction helped him learn to weap, laugh out loud and what it has taught him about himself. I lost my boyfriend to a drunk driver in 2006 and was only engaged to my now husband when he made the choice to save his life. today he thanks me for saving his life that night and driving him to treatment after I had moved out of our home. His addiction helped me heal from B's death, and forgive the man who killed him. I would never choose addiction for any person, but I am thankful for what we have gone through now. We are stronger as a couple, thankful for each day we have, and have unique tools from AA and Al-Anon to help us through the tough days. I am not so naive as to think everything will be perfect from now on, but I have hope again that we can have a life together. I began working on a book about our story and my life with B. I don't know if I would ever even try to get it published but it has certainly helped me process a lot of my feelings and heal further. I never thought I would come back from B's death, and I never thought I would make it through my husband's addiction. But I am so thankful I did.

Winnie

Re: how my husband's addiction helped heal me
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 11:27 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I too have learned many coping skills thru learning how to cope with my son's addiction. The biggest i think is i am a lot less judgemental of people. I have learned to keep things simple.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.