Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Thinking of you
Replies: 6   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 26, 2010 9:31 PM by: lilypad

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 6
An addict's Mom

Thinking of you
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:22 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

On this beautiful spring Earth Day, My thoughts have turned to all of you. Your struggles, your triumphs, your loved ones. The forum has been very quiet, again I wonder if life is very good or very bad for those who have shared so much here. We have had a triumph. My son celebrated 3 years of sobriety on April 16th. I thank God today that he is in a good place, as am I. Take care...Laura

ginamac

Re: Thinking of you
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 4:37 PM

Its a beautiful day here as well, congratulations on your son's sobriety!

Molly

Posted: Apr 24, 2010 11:50 PM

Three years, one week and one day. Laura, I revel in your family's triumph! I feel your joy. Thank you for sharing this magnificent milestone - and so much of yourself - with us.

~ Molly

lori-in-irvine

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:08 AM

Congrats to your son on his triumph (and yours). 3 years, wow!! You can officially begin to exhale. My son celebrated his 5 month sobriety in a recovery home on April 22. Last November he had been arrested and committed to a hospital psych ward after overdosing on benzos and opiates. He had become homeless and was living on the street, stealing for drug money. He had no intention of quitting if the legal system had not intervened, forcing the separation of my son from his drugs. My message to parents bailing kids out of jail is "don't". This is sometimes the only thing that will save them. My husband and I were powerless to stop this downward spiral. I thank God for the miracle but this journey is taken one day at a time, this is only a fragile beginning. Stay strong, don't give up hope, miracles happen.

An addict's Mom

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:29 AM

Lori, What a relief for you. Sometimes the worst that can happen ends up being the best that can happen. I pray that your son continues to hear what he needs to hear and learn to keep puttting these "one days" together. Thanks for your kind words, I am pretty fortunate...He is pretty commited. It's Finals week at school for him, but even through the frantic pace of studying for finals, his AA stuff is his highest priority. A meeting last night and he's headed to a treatment center to tell his story to teens tonight. I am in awe of what it takes for him to remain sober. I hope you can enjoy and revel in teh peace that comes from knowing that for today, your son is in a safe place. Laura

lilypad

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 9:31 PM

Lori - thanks for the reminder. I have let the legal system intervene for my son in the past. Today I had to "rat him out" once more to his PO. I am sick about it but I don't have much time left until he is 18 (about 7 months). He was making really good strides but started with alcohol as a substitute for pot and other drugs since he has weekly drug screens. He admitted to me the last week that he is an alcoholic but I don't know if he realizes the implications for his future. In the same conversation he admitted that he plans to start using pot again once he is off probation. I just pray that if he goes to a court ordered program again it will meet his need for treatment and not just be punitive.

kiah

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 5:51 PM

Laura! Congrats! This is great news. It gives such hope!

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.