Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Long story short
Replies: 3   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jul 17, 2010 12:55 PM by: Winnie

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3
Winnie

Long story short
Posted: Jul 17, 2010 9:03 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Our family has been thru so much lately. Presently our son is in recovery. I will give the short version. After attempted suicide my son was hospitalized in the mental unit where we met a pscharatrist who gave me great adivse. I asked him what books or websites i should read. At which point he said i needed a break from addiction - but he said the following: your son has to practice abstinence(spelling)not sure if he meant all addicts or my son's drug of choice or the type of personality he has - all drug addicts need consequences when they use - if the addict is clean and doing the work to better themselves give them all the love and support you can. All this advice is common sense but when you are so wrapped up in addiction i think we loose our common sense.

After finding my son after he took prescribed meds and almost loosing him - i call that day my "rock bottom" I knew i could not help him anymore. I told the hospital he could not come home and they agreed. I would like to say after my rock bottom i will never enable again.

The good news is my son has been clean since June 7th - he has had many seizures because of the overdose - rushed to the hospital (lost count how many times)from the treatment centre - however he has been seizure free now for 2 weeks - the hospital did an EEG, Cat Scan and MRI - and they all came back normal. In about two weeks time he will transfer to sober living (if he remains seizure free)where he promised me he would stay at least 3 months.

I will be cautiously hopefully

missmymom

Re: Long story short
Posted: Jul 17, 2010 9:49 AM

Stay strong and I hope your son will have the strenght too so he can beat this illness.

cindykay

Posted: Jul 17, 2010 10:47 AM

Winnie, Stay hopeful and know that 30 days sober is a milestone for addiction. Stay strong and I will hope for the best for you and your son.

Winnie

Posted: Jul 17, 2010 12:55 PM

Thanks for your kind words.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.