Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Brillant life lost to meth 2005
Replies: 3   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 21, 2010 10:33 PM by: Ann

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 3
carolynknows

Brillant life lost to meth 2005
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 2:36 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hello -
I put off reading "Beautiful Boy" until I joined a book club where we discuss books pertaining to mental illnesses. So this month's book is "Beautiful Boy" and I can say I'm savoring every morsel (well almost).

I hesitated reading it because my son was addicted to meth and ultimately ended his life in 2005. It's been a long road of recovery for me but fully appreciate everyone's pain on this forum.

I recently published a book in which I teach parents the signs of teen depression and substance abuse (save the teens). This is my way of hopefully saving some parents the pain of watching their kids suffer while addicted to whatever their drug of choice might be.

I pray those of you with kids addicted to meth (or whatever their addiction is) that they will see the light sooner than later because losing a child by any means is horrific.

Bless us all.

waterdance

Re: Brillant life lost to meth 2005
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 12:06 AM

Hello carolynknows...I too lost a son to meth & pain killers in 2005 and it's been a hard recovery for me. Have daughter on meth. Feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall so to speak. Of course I haven't recovered but emotionally I'm better most days. Some days I'm back to ground zero. What is the name of your book? I would like to read it. Being on this forum has helped me in so many ways. I've also done studies on right-brain thinking, timeshifting, spiritual healing and I've changed my my mind set. Someone ran into back of my car April 30th and I've been in pain. Getting ready to go through decompression therapy. I'm in a bit of a crappy state myself these days.In spite of all life is richer for me in general. Sounds hard to believe I know. It is truly a matter of thinking differently. Best wishes, Deb

An addict's Mom

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 1:20 AM

Carolynknows. I too would love to read your book. I am amazed at how few resources there were for "seeing" what my son was delving in to. I also wish I had some information earlier, I sure made a lot of excuses and missed all teh signs for way too long. I think as a parent, for me, I was afraid to look at what was really happening as the realization was too horrific. What you experienced is a very real option with addicted kids taking their own lives or losing their lives to drugs more and more often. That ...is unimaginable and for you and Deb I cannot even begin to understand that pain. Thanks for reaching out and getting this message to parents. There aren;'t nearly enough resources.

Ann

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 10:33 PM

Hi Carolyn, my heart goes out to you. Losing a child must be one of the hardest things anyone could go through. The fact that you are reaching out to others despite your grief is so touching. We look at our adult children who have addictions and feel hopeless at times. I believe that what you are doing is wonderful. Someday our grandchildren may find themselves in the midst of drugs. Whatever we can do to empower them not to use will be worth it's weight in gold.
Thinking of you,
Ann

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.