Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: hope this is cool
Replies: 0   Pages: 1  

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 0
grad_grrrl

hope this is cool
Posted: Mar 25, 2011 9:07 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

My Father is a gambling addict. I believe that he has lost his job, has no interest in finding a new one. He has tried to steal from me, 'borrowed' money from my sister and not paid it back. He's abusive to my step-mother and belittling and obnoxious to me. He's a verbally abusive bully when confronted with his problems--or lies about them.

I see people write lovingly about their addicted children, but my Father wasn't the nicest guy before he became completely addicted. He thinks he's a great guy, but good parents don't make you feel like you're only worth your accomplishments or lie to you, or guilt trip you.
People who have been closer to him--my sister and his wife have tried to get him to get help, but he doesn't want it. He doesn't acknowledge he has a problem. And he lies like a rug.

I don't want him in my life. Normally I have peace with this, but my wedding is coming up--and it makes complications. I feel that it's honest to inform him directly, but potentially more trouble than it's worth. And I haven't thought of an idea to keep him from finding out--my grandfather is sure to mention it. I dread the idea that he just show up at my wedding.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.