Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Thank you for your wisdom
Replies: 0   Pages: 1  

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 0
Mercy

Thank you for your wisdom
Posted: Aug 7, 2011 9:39 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I just read the book this weekend while flying home from a business trip. Like the others, this book could have been written about our lives....right down to the toys Nic and my daughter played with in the 80s. When she went to college we thought that it was normal for college student behaviour to party and mess up a little. Long story short, our beautiful daughter had multiple addictions and an eating disorder that landed her in a very highly respected rehab center in Texas. It cost plenty but we were certain that she was "cured" when she returned home and finished college, got a good job, apartment, etc. Then suddenly after 2.5 years of sobriety she crashes on a new drug - Opane. We had never heard of this...but in a few short months she has robbed from us, lied, been evicted, gotten fired, etc. Its been a nightmare. She is now living in a homeless shelter waiting on a "free" rehab bed which may take 4-5 months due to the waiting list. She crys and tells us that there are more drugs in the shelter then she's ever seen and most of the people there are from the criminal justice system. Its so tempting to take her away from that but we know we can't. We are grieving the loss of her future and the life that we had always assumed she would have but thankful she still has a chance. I'm so sorry that so many families in this country have to deal with this and the loss of their children. How can we stop this for future generations?

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.