Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: helpless
Replies: 14   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 11, 2010 10:47 PM by: waterdance

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 14
bethmom

helpless
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 8:24 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

My 21 year old daughter is in jail now for 23 days. She is having a melt down. She called collect and said she is having racing thoughts, hearing voices, she is in tears. She has pschizzo-affective disorder, bipolar and depression. She is on medications and is receiving them there. I don't know what to do, the jailers seem unsympathetic.

lori-in-irvine

Re: helpless
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 11:16 PM

You must be sick with worry and it's natural to imagine the worst but you have to resist that. Is there any way you can find out if she is getting medical attention? How often is she allowed to call you? I don't know how the system works but if she has an attorney maybe she can be transfered to a medical facility to treat what sound like psychosis, she doesn't belong in jail in her condition. I am so sorry you are having to go through this torment.

Ann

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 11:57 PM

Bethmom, do you remember talking about "Sean's Law",,,this is a law they are trying to pass in Ohio. I have written to the Representative there and they are almost certain it will pass (for Ohio),,,hopefully other states will follow. This House Bill was brought about after Sean Levert died in jail withdrawing from medication prescribed to him by his doctor! He was in jail for failing to pay child support. Even though he had his meds with him, they did not give him the medicine! I am not certain, but I believe something similar happened in Ohio a few weeks ago. This has to change. I understand if they do the crime, they have to do the time. I do not understand how they can withhold medical treatment?
I will be praying for you and your daughter. This must be absolutely devastating to you.
Thinking of you,
Ann

cindykay

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:06 AM

Bethmom, I have thought of you and wondered how you and your daughter were doing. I am sorry to hear of this recent situation. Have you thought of contacting the judge? Yes, it was in Ohio that another inmate died as they were only giving the young man part of his meds. He was schizophrenic and they did not give the meds to help with the delusions. His medical file conveniently "disappeared." What about writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper? No one likes bad publicity. It may take away some of the stress you are having to endure now. Your local councilman? I have come to the conclusion that I will not sit and allow this crap to continue. Please look in the forum "interesting article" and read what is going on here now. You may want to call the judge and ask him what he would suggest. Judge Klide is a wonderful man and he may provide some additional insight. I will continue to pray you find some guidance and your daughter some medical help.

bethmom

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:48 AM

Thank you for your information. We live in Illinois and will check on the law here.

waterdance

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 12:25 PM

Dear Bethmom, Didn't you write in one of your posts about your daughter being raped? If this is so I would like to talk to her when she comes home. I was raped at 16. E-mail me at waterdance@cableone.net. Thinking of you, Deb

Fatima

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 10:43 AM

Hello, I feel for you. My son too was in jail and taking meds. Fortunately, NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) helped me. They told me to contact the officer in charge of inmates with mental illness. This officer made sure my son saw the psychiatrist and was given his med with the appropriate dose. I recommend that you contact NAMI in your area. I'll be praying for your daughter!

bethmom

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:17 AM

Thank you for your advice. I am also going to talk to her probation officer. According to my daughter they have been giving her prescribed meds. Sh has not had an episode like this in a while. I know she needs to accept the consequences but people with psychiatric problems should have access to emergency care.

An addict's Mom

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:20 AM

Bethmom, I am so sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through this. You are both in my prayers this week and I hope you get something resolved.

bethmom

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:43 AM

Beth has called and said the jail Doctor is going to order something for her,(don,t know what or if will react against the meds she was on). She is able to call collect sometimes.I will call the jail shortly to check on things. She is quiet and is afraid to ask for help. but I think she has started the ball rolling. She is in jail for posession of parafinalia(hitter pipe)Because she has been in trouble before, they increase the sentance each time, last time it was underage drinking.

bethmom

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 9:18 PM

We were able to visit Beth today. She is in a small town jail nearby. She is shaky and easily distracted. Her mental illness symptoms have been under control for a while until now. I guess the stress of being in jail has set her off balance. I thought I was going to be more at ease knowing she is in a drug free living area but am really stressed. I know there are drugs everywhere but I think I need to move to atown where she is away from the bad influences here.

An addict's Mom

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 12:55 AM

Bethmom , My thought and prayers are with you tonight. it's never easy to see your child suffering, and it doesn't matter if that torment is caused by drugs or joail or any of the other crisis our addicts seem to find themselves in. I am glad the Psychiatrist is involved, hopefully her symptoms can be managed for a while. Take care of yourself, Laura

Fatima

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 5:08 PM

Bethmon, Before considering moving make sure you daughter plans to stay with you. We moved hoping that our 18 year old daughter would stay with us and continue counseling. Unfortunately, within one week of coming back from a treatment program, she took off and now is using meth. I'm not trying to discourage you, just sharing our experience.

cindykay

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 5:23 PM

bethmom, I know how difficult this has been for you. I just wanted to share that my daughter left town to "get away" from all the bad influences and memories. She moved to our Nation's Capitol to attend college and came back two months later a heroin addict. The addict can move away from the using addicts, but the addiction will follow them. Always remember, where there's a will, there is a way. No one can run, move or hide from addiction. It will follow. I do not mean to discourage you in any way, but just know until she is ready to "move" on, no other moves will help.

waterdance

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 10:47 PM

Hi Bethmom, I don't know where you live and moving may not help as much as you think. My oldest grandaughter and husband always blamed the city they were in for their addictions. And yes they took their addictions with them. I let them live here years ago by themselves with their baby girl. M still managed to get to Phoenix (85 miles away) for whatever drugs they were on. (It was heroin then). Here it is 12 years later and M and M are still using drugs. This is a small community but their are plenty of druggies and alcoholics here. I do think the move might help you and give you a different outlook on the problem. Thinking of you tonight, Deb

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.